What is the right number to call when seeking Police Assistance?

Call 999 – for serious emergencies in which human life and limb are deemed to be at risk, or when a crime (this includes ASB or act of vandalism) is actually in progress or has just happened, and those responsible are believed to be still in the vicinity.
It is appreciated that many occurrences may fall into this description and situations may change very quickly. But if, in your opinion, the definition fits, then call 999.

The police Operations Centre will assess your call using all other information known about the incident and will then decide upon the appropriate response to meet the emergency.
Sometimes it is necessary when many calls for priority assistance are received at the same time, for the Operations Centre to decide which call must take precedence. So it is important to make clear in your call exactly what the dangers are as the situation is developing.

Call 101 – for any other form of police assistance – usually described as being ‘Non-Emergency’.
This means incidents NOT involving life or limb risks or where a crime or incident may have happened but those responsible are NOT present in the area.
However, even simple ASB or vandalism can sometimes justify being upgraded by the Operations Centre when other aggravating factors are deemed to be present.

Always remember to ask for your incident number for future reference.